Do you want to receive the Holy Spirit but do not understand what it is or how to receive it? I was in your place years ago, and I did not understand it either. I was so confused, then fear overtook me and I just ran away from the Holy Spirit. The church I was attending did not believe in Baptism and the gifts of the Holy Spirit, especially speaking in tongues. I met a pastor that cleared up my confusion and fear. In 2017, I finally received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and received the gift of tongues.
Recently, I started to think about how I received the Holy Spirit, and how can I help others. I opened up an old Bible I had and there it is, seven steps to receive the Holy Spirit. I read them over and THANK YOU JESUS!
Seven Steps to Receive the Holy Spirit
These seven steps are based on the Gospel of John 14:16-17 (NKJV), “And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper that He may abide with your forever, the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.”
- Help the candidate see that God has already given the Holy Spirit. It is up to them to receive the Holy Spirit now! Show them that begging is unbelief.
- Make the candidate see that, once they are saved, be ready to receive the Holy Spirit (Luke 11:9-13; 2 Corinthians 5:17).
- Even without the gift of the laying on of hands to receive, a Spirit-filled believer may and should lay hands on the candidate. Either way, we cannot just give the Holy Spirit to them; they must receive it for themselves.
- Tell the candidate they are to speak. The Holy Spirit will act upon their lips and tongue, but they must put the sound to the action and speak out (Acts 2:4, 10:44-46, 19:6). Nowhere in the New Testament does it say that the Holy Spirit spoke in tongues.
- Tell the candidate to throw away all fears they have acquired from foolish teachers. They will receive the real thing (Luke 11:11-13).
- Tell them to open their mouth wide, to breathe in as deeply as possible, and tell God in their spirit: I am receiving the Holy Spirit right now by faith. Insist that they speak no words in English. Speaking in tongues is a cooperation between you and the Holy Spirit.
- Never crowd around a person who has come to receive and never allow a crowd to gather around him. Pray for them only in tongues.
Therefore, don’t forget to roam around our website, follow us on Facebook as we post daily Scripture to start your day and announcements on what is happening at Van De Bogart Ministries, and subscribe to our YouTube channel. Each Wednesday we post a new My Thoughts video where we teach the Word of God.